Osh -Uzbek cuisine at La Mer

This is an interesting casual diner located at the North end of La Mer that serves Uzbek / Russian food and cuisines from around the place. They invited me to try out their food. 

It was a bit dimly lit is what I noticed as soon as I entered. They have a nice see-through kitchen where you can see the chefs preparing delicious meals in front of you. 

We started with their salads. First we had the aubergine salad. The texture of this was very different from what I'd expect from an aubergine. It wasn't squishy, but sort of firm and looked like  a well cooked cube. There was some feta cheese in it too, and I really liked this one. 

The other one was the bahor salad. This was basically made from cucumber julienne in a yoghurt preparation. It tasted fresh but the taste wasn't something unique I'd say.

The potato and mushroom vareniki is something that I really liked a lot. It had a lovely texture and was a bit juicy too; something similar to a dumpling.  

Then I had the lamb manti which was something similar in texture, but a bit bigger. The filling of lamb inside tasted quite good. 

After that I tried out this dish which looked huge and interesting. It was the cheese cheburek. This is a type of pastry with cheese inside. It tasted a bit dry and chewy for my liking. 

The chicken samsa was what I had next. It was a pastry filled with chicken. This wasn't bad, but not something I looked forward to either. 

Perhaps my favourite dish here was the wasabi prawns. It looked really appealing when served, and the taste definitely lived up to it. The prawns were crispy and had a creamy wasabi sauce on it. It was hard to resist. 

Golubtsy is another Russian dish which can be defined as a cabbage roll. It had a preparation of red sauce, and the taste was average, and so was the texture of the filling inside it. 

Osh is basically a pulav and that's what the restaurant is named after. We just had to try this one out. There are many varieties, and we had the Osh Pardz. The rice is cooked along with yellow carrots and then the meat is added to it. At first look, I thought that this is just an ordinary rice dish, but I had a bite, and I got a really fantastic flavour in this one. It looked very simple, but there was much more to this simple looking rice dish than what one would expect. 

They also served us mixed grill platter. It had lamb chops, kebabs, and various meats. The kebabs were juicy and really soft. You didn't feel the kebabs to be dry at all, and they were easy to cut too. Perhaps one of the softest kebabs that I've had. 

For the dessert, we had the apple tart. I'm not a huge fan but this was served hot, and topped with ice-cream. The contrast definitely hit the spot. 

The last dessert was the honey cake. It looked really tempting, and after I bite, I just could not keep my hands off it. 

Overall, I'd say that this is a really interesting place. The food tastes great, and they have an amazing variety too. The ambience is casual and the staff is courteous. 

Click here to salivate 

Osh Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oakberry Acai Bowls

Humpty Dumpty - desi Chinese

Baku food : What did I eat in Azerbaijan?