Chalet Berezka

The name of this restaurant has its roots in soviet state. It serves Russian and Ukrainian cuisine and invited me to try out some of their dishes. 

I really liked the ambience here. It is spacious and they have a see-through kitchen. They also have outdoor seating which would be perfect during winters. For those who like shisha, there is a smoking section upstairs which also has karaoke. 

We started with some garden salad which was a mix of fresh vegetables topped with sour cream dill dressing. It also had an egg in it which I liked. 

For mocktails, we had a pina colada, and a passion fruit based drink. 
They serve alcoholic drinks as well.



Then we had some assorted varenili. One of them was stuffed with potato and mushroom which I enjoyed. The other one had cottage cheese and cherry which was a bit sweet for my liking, but had an interesting flavour if you like to try something different. 

The beef carpaccio is what we had next. This is beef tenderloin topped with sun-dried tomatoes, rocket leaves and Parmesan. The flavour of the beef was fantastic, and since there weren't many spices on this, the core flavour was retained. 

Next came the mini cheburek. This is made from crispy dough filled with minced lamb. It was served hot, so I really enjoyed it. 

If you're a fan of smoked roast beef, you should surely try it here. Thin slices that were served with some mustard sauce on the side. Have one and you won't be able to resist. 

For the mains, we had beef cheeks. These were prepared in red wine and button mushroom that gave it a really good flavour. It was served along with mashed potato on the side. 

The only chicken dish that we had was the pozharskaya cutlet. This is made from pan fried chicken which itself tasted good. There was mashed potato in this too since the Russians use generous amounts of potato in their food. It was topped with some cranberry sauce which I wasn't quite a fan of. 

The last item for our mains was buckwheat with mushroom. I think I need to develop a liking for the taste and texture of buckwheat. Some might like it, but I didn't find this one to have a peculiar flavour as such. 

For dessert we had a traditional dish called syrniki. This is made form cottage cheese and had sour cream on the side. This also had berry sauce on top. This is where I like a sweet sauce; in my dessert. I really liked this dessert since it was not too sweet. If you're someone who likes to have really sweet stuff, then this might not be something which will appeal to you. 

I think overall I really liked this place since the dishes were something different, yet something that appealed to my palate. The spices were not overpowering, but the core flavours of the meat were retained in most dishes. 
I'm not sure how close this is to authentic Russian / Ukrainian food since I have just tried it once before this, but if you're looking to try something new then this is definitely worth checking out. 

Click here to salivate 

Chalet Berezka Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oakberry Acai Bowls

Humpty Dumpty - desi Chinese

Baku food : What did I eat in Azerbaijan?