O'Pao

Being from India, as soon as I hear "pao", I get excited because it is something that we strongly associate with street-food. I couldn't wait to try out this place when they invited me here. 

It is not a very big place, but they have done it up well with some nice walls and a desi touch to it. 

Their concept is basically having various stuffings inside a pao; just like vada-pav but much more interesting. Before getting onto those, we called for an appetiser that really caught my attention - the kurkure bhindi - crispy fried okra. I'm a fan of bhindi and hence easy to please with it. It was served hot, not too oily, and with green chutney on the side. The chutney itself was also good, not too thin and watery. but thick and spicy. I took a bite of the kurkure bhindi, and almost finished it in no time. 

They have a good selection of veg as well as non-veg paos. 
The non-veg one that we had was the O'Triple Schezwan Pao. It has desi Chinese Chicken, egg, and noodles. After reading the description, I just had to order it. The taste definitely lived up to the expectations. I got the same desi feel you get in India when you have roadside Chinese. It is on the spicier side just the way I like it. 

We then had the vegetarian ones. The first was the O'Manchurian Pao. Yes, I totally love desi Chinese. I had a bite and got the same comforting taste that you get when you have Manchurian. This did taste really good.  Although I like things on the spicier side, so I liked the former one more. 

If you like something more continental, then there is the O'Cheesy Jalapeno pao. Complete with fried jalapenos, and loads of cheese, this does have the American flavour to it. You can also ask for yours with gherkins which really adds to the flavour. 

For drinks too there had to be something desi. It was the desi cold coffee. The no frills cold coffee which tastes strong and not very sweet. We were pleasantly surprised when we had it. 

For our dessert we had the choco mousse crunch. By default, it contains egg, but we asked for the vegetarian variant. This was a super creamy mousse topped with bits of bourbon biscuit. Really good, just that it didn't feel so chocolatey. The egg variant does have more chocolate than this, as well as a darker colour. 



If you're brought up in India, you'll surely get the nostalgic feel when you see the jars of mango bite at the counter. 

Another really nice thing that I liked here was the staff attitude. Whether it was the owner himself, or a waiter, they took feedback positively. They were really receptive, and very accommodating which is what I totally love about any restaurant. 

If you're looking to grab a bite with some desi feel to it, then definitely check this place out. 

Click here to salivate.  



O'Pao Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oakberry Acai Bowls

Humpty Dumpty - desi Chinese

Baku food : What did I eat in Azerbaijan?