Kasbah the rooftop

I'm sure you've been hearing a lot about this place lately. The name too is catchy, especially the "rooftop" bit made me eager to check it out. They were glad to have me over to review them. Upon seeing the interesting pictures of the wonderfully presented dishes, I was eagerly looking forward to see what was in store for me. 

Once we were there, their head chef Tarun came to greet us; he would be getting us the best of their dishes to taste. Please note that the portion sizes pictured below are smaller since they wanted us to taste a lot of things. The actual portions would be on an average 50% more than the ones pictured here. 

The dishes have an interesting name, and most of them also have a story to it. 

The first one was the Heart Beet. It is one of their hot sellers they said. It is heart-shaped, and is made from beetroot. It has a beetroot cream cheese patty. If you love beetroot, you'll definitely love this one. Even if not, it's not bad at all. 

Then came the Bombay Bombs. It is named so since it is basically a deconstructed vada-pav (which was originated in the city of Bombay), served in a round shape like a mini bomb. There was a chilli on top too. Tasted just like a vada-pav; a little less bready though. Flavour is totally on point. It is served on a hand-cart (albeit a mini one) just like it is done in India. 

Next we had the M4 Army. The M4 symbolises the four M's viz. methi (fenugreek), malai (cream), mushroom, murgh tikka (chicken). Also, since M4 is also a powerful weapon used in the army, this is served on an army truck. The chicken was succulent, and this dish was creamy and well cooked, with a good flavour to it. 

After this we tried the As Warm as Toast which is a baked kali mirch chicken bun. It looks similar to the bombs that you saw previously, but this one is made with chicken and black pepper. These were really soft, but it had an after-taste to it which wasn't quite to my liking. 

Teri Chicken ke Balls ! Wait, I'm not cussing, it is the name of the next dish. These are teriyaki chicken balls which had the yummy taste of desi chinese manchurian to it; the kind where you have one bite and are hooked on! It has a tad bit spicy flavour to it.
I'm sure the desis would have associated with one of the famous cuss phrases; also, it is served on a "hand". I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with the phrase "got you by the balls". Don't let the name deter you though; this dish tastes great. 

If you like the famous Sindhi breakfast dish - dal pakwan - you will definitely like this dish, because that's what it is...with a twist. The Sindhimatic nachos. The dal was thick and flavourful, and the pakwan was in the shape of nachos. I liked it so much that I finished off in no time. 
For those of you who are totally foreign to this dish...it is basically cripy fried bread that it had with thick lentil soup.

Chef tarun himself was getting all the dishes to our table and explaining them to us. For the next dish that he brought, he said "Now the gujjus can marry the Italians". I was a bit puzzled, until he explained that it was the Dabizza. The dabeli turned into a pizza, i.e. the filling of the dabeli put over a pizza base. This tasted really delicious, especially with the crispy sev on top. It was a little bit spicy like a dabeli, and had the joy of eating a pizza. 

He got some flowers for us, and I was thinking it is some kind of decoration. Nope. It was a dish named Call it a flower. It is inspired by the Valley of Flowers in India. This one has Broccoli and Cauliflower florets in yoghurt and spices. The dish was extremely pleasing to the eye. If you want to impress a girl who is a foodie, this dish would serve the purpose. The broccoli and cauliflower tasted okay with the spices. They could have added some sauce there. Also, I personally like these vegetables as a part of some other dish, and not just by themselves. 

For drinks, we had the pinacolada which was served in a metallic pineapple, and tasted refreshing. 

The other one was a cola based drink (I forgot the name). It was served in a skull shaped glass. I really liked this one especially since it was not fizzy. 

Both the above drinks are originally alcoholic, but can be made without it just like they did for us. 

Now coming to the desserts, I had a lot of expectations about the innovation after having the mains. 

The first dessert - Froasted - definitely left me spellbound. It is a spicy dessert. Wait, what?! Yeah. It is roasted corn ice-cream. It took me a while to comprehend. The logic behind creating this dish was that since we usually have roasted corn on cob in winters, why shouldn't there be a way to enjoy it in summers, and so they've made a kulfi (ice-cream) of roasted corn. It is also served in a way that you eat corn. The icing on the cake (or the spice on the kulfi) was that he actually rubbed chilli lemon on the kulfi. I was speechless; I had my apprehensions; I took a bite. Oh my God. This was the bhutta I eat in India during winters. Tasted exactly the same, and now I can eat it in summers too. As you must have guessed, this one isn't exactly sweet, and for me it didn't fit the definition of a dessert, so I would suggest don't expect a dessert when you order this. Also, there are some of us who don't like a very sweet dessert; this one is apt for them. 



That's how we roll! That's what the last dessert is called. It is a shrikhnd red velvet swiss roll. Imagine it. See it in the picture. Words can't describe this one. It tasted really amazing. 

Their head chef Tarun has done such a good job at creating the dishes, that they not only taste great, but also look fantastic, and most importantly strike a chord. If I were to rate this place based only on the food, I would most probably give it a perfect rating. 

However, there were a few things which could have been better. 
The sofas weren't very comfortable to sit on for a long time. Another thing is that I was expecting the place to look a little more classier and upmarket, given the name. Perhaps it was my pre-conceived notions. So I would suggest you go with lesser expectations of the ambience. 

Also, I was expecting to see a nice view. The view is just okay; nothing special. That brings me to the next point which is the location. It feels like it is in the middle of nowhere, and when you're on your way there, you almost think that there cannot be a hotel here, and that's when you keep going and see it. 

A good thing is that they're screening the IPL cricket matches, so I'm guessing they would screen other sporting events too, for which this would prove to be a good place to go and watch. 

Go there to have delicious food in a chilled out and casual place. 

This place also accepts Zomato Gold on drinks! If you aren't a Zomato Gold member yet, use my code - UDITSS - to sign up and get a 25% off !



Kasbah The Rooftop - GoldState Hotel Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oakberry Acai Bowls

Humpty Dumpty - desi Chinese

Golden Dragon