Wok Boys - Asian street food

I'm a fan of Asian food, and especially the Wok, so when they invited me to check out the place, I was eagerly looking forward to it. 

It is located in one of the lanes beside the Crowne Plaza hotel and makes for a perfect street food setting. They also have some street style graffiti on the wall. 

As we waited for our food, we ordered some fresh coconut water. They serve this in the coconut itself, and so it feels even more refreshing. 

We started with the prawn tempura. It was nice and crispy and tasted good too. It was served in a small box though which made the quantity look small (though it is okay for that price).

The menu listed the Spicy Korean Wings as one of their signature dishes, and so I ordered one. These were really spicy and really delicious. There was a generous amount of the spicy sauce on the wings. Since I love spicy food, I totally loved these, but in my opinion, these might be a bit too spicy for most people (even those who are used to having spicy), so think twice before ordering. The ample amount of sauce might also make it a bit messy to eat. 

For my wok, I cusomised mine with soba noodles, prawns, broccoli, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, baby corn, wok boyz special sauce and topped it with sesame seeds. The wok boyz special sauce isn't their spiciest but coupled along with the temperature, it does feel really spicy. Also, a good thing is that you can tell them whether you want it spicy or regular. You can also tell them if you want it saucy (mmm...as in with more sauce). It did taste really good. 

The other wok that we had was with soba noodles, prawns, pineapple, springs onions, Japanese sizzle (teriyaki sweet soy sauce). This was on the sweeter side, so if you're not used to having spicy at all, I'd recommend this one. This too tasted quite good. 

Now coming to the things that I wasn't very happy about. 
They have outdoor seating and their coolers weren't working. Given the weather, this makes it almost impossible to sit there. Their indoor seating is almost non-existent. Barely about 4 people can sit inside and that too it is a very uncomfortable seating position. 

I saw the chef cleaning the wok with water and a little broom after every order. I noticed that there was just one of these little brooms there. I asked one of the staff members if the vegetarian items are prepared in a separate wok, and they said yes. I asked if they use the same little broom to clean the other wok too, to which they also said yes. They also went on to tell me that since it is a street food restaurant, it is not possible to have separate ones. After realising the blunder, they tried to cover it up by saying "but there is a separate area where we can wash the vegetarian wok". I  sensed a bit of apprehension in the tone, and I'm unsure if they actually do it or not. 
This might not sound like a big deal for those who are not vegetarians, but imagine if they prepared something in the same wok which you refrain from eating (especially due to religious sentiments which often is the case), would you like it then?

I think overall the food was quite good, but during summer, I would recommend this place only for a take-away or an order in. Also, if you have certain food allergies or dietary restrictions, you might have to think twice before you order. 




Wok Boyz Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oakberry Acai Bowls

Humpty Dumpty - desi Chinese

Baku food : What did I eat in Azerbaijan?